Know the signs. Seek help.
Signs of a deepening depression can include:
- Change in eating or sleeping
- Indifference, giving away possessions
- Withdrawal from family, friends, happy pursuits
- Apathy or increase in anxiety
- Feelings of helplessness, guilt, and/or worthlessness
- Suicidal thoughts
- Persistent aches, pains, headaches, cramps or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
- Irritability, restlessness
- Losing interest in activities or hobbies that used to be important
Depression carries a high risk of suicide. Anyone who expresses suicidal thoughts or intentions should be taken very seriously. Warning signs of suicide as a result of depression include:
- Sudden switch from being very sad to very calm or even happy
- Always talking or thinking about dying
- Losing interest in things you used to care about
- Comments about being hopeless, helpless or worthless
- Putting affairs in order, tying up loose ends, changing a will
- Having a “death wish”…tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, etc.
If you or someone you know is showing signs of depression, please seek help.